vi Editor FAQ
0.1 - Index
0.0 - Introduction -- How do I use this FAQ?
1.0 - What is vi?
- 0.1 - Index
- 0.2 - Can I distribute this FAQ?
- 0.3 - What can you do to help out with this faq?
2.0 - Learning vi.
- 1.1 - What is the big deal about vi? Why does anyone use it? More
importantly, why should *I* use it?
- 1.2 - Wow! This sounds great! Is there any reason not to use vi?
- 1.3 - What different operating systems is vi available for?
- 1.4 - Okay, you've convinced me. I'm going to learn vi. Where do I
- 1.5 - What are some of the vi clones that are available?
3.0 - How do you do a search and replace?
- 2.1 - What games will help me learn vi?
- 2.2 - What is the difference between Command mode & Insert mode?
- 2.3 - Wait, my keyboard doesn't have a key! What should I do?
- 2.4 - What are all of those ~s?
- 2.6 - How do I quit without saving?
- 2.7 - How do I insert a file?
- 2.8 - How do I search for text?
- 2.9 - How do I search for a control sequence?
- 2.10 - How do I reformat text?
- 2.11 - How do I copy text?
- 2.12 - Ahhhh!!! I just hit dG and lost my dissertation! What can I do? (Or, I've just made a mistake, what should I do?)
- 2.13 - I've just written my dissertation and have been told that I need to have each section in a different file, what should I do?
- 2.14 - What's the deal with all of these : commands?
4.0 - What's online at the vi archives?
- 3.1 - How do I run a program from within vi?
- 3.2 - Ahhh!! I was writing my dissertation, and the computer crashed!
- 3.3 - Any tips for making vi programmer friendly?
- 3.4 - Macros -- How do I write them?
- 3.5 - How do I make a function key a Macro?
- 3.6 - Is there anyway to abbreviate text?
- 3.7 - How do I spell check the current document?
- 3.8 - I've got a hardcopy terminal, can I still use vi?
- 3.9 - Oh, okay, is THAT what open mode is? But I don't have a
hardcopy terminal, and it still starts in open mode!
5.0 - Silly vi tricks, and silly macros
6.0 - Alphabetical vi quick reference
- 5.1 - Silly vi tricks
- 5.2 - Silly macros
7.0 - Setting up .exrc file
- 6.1 - Command mode input options ( : commands)
- 6.2 - set options
8.0 - Bugs in vi
- 7.1 - Sample .exrc file
9.0 - Glossary of terms
10.0 - Bibliography of Books that cover vi
This FAQ was downloaded from:http://www.macom.co.il/vi/index.html
This HTML version of the vi Faq was compiled by Baruch Promislow of Macom Networking LTD.
(C)opyright, E. Larry Lidz, 1994, 1995. All Rights Reserved.